Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Consumers Energy Gas Smart Meters-- You Can Opt Out

Consumers Energy will allow customers to opt out of the smart gas meter at no charge. They will first try to get you to accept the AMR/ERT/modular gas meter instead. Tell them, no, you don't want that, you want to keep your current, analog gas meter. They will allow you to do so.

If you get your electricity from DTE and your gas from Consumers, there is currently no charge to opt out.

If you get both electric and gas from Consumers, then the opt-out charge for the electric meter will include the gas meter, but you must be sure to tell them you want to have an analog gas meter.

Here is one person's report:

"Once I mentioned I wanted to opt out of having a gas smart meter on my home, she told me I would get a modular added to my current meter, so that the Consumer Energy driver could retrieve the info just by driving by without stopping.
  
"I refused it and said I didn’t want any modular either, and that we were anyway always taking a picture each month of the reading and uploading it on their website. She accepted my request easily. She confirmed I will not get a modular and will retain my analog meter. I asked if there would be any extra fee for the opt out. She answered: not at this time but she can’t guarantee they won’t be any later at some point."

http://www.smartmetereducationnetwork.com/how-to-tell-if-I-have-a-ami-dte-smart-advanced-meter.php#9
For more information about smart meters, and to sign up for our newsletter, which will keep you up to date, please go to Smart Meter Education Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment